LLTI Archives

May 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 16:40:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:18:33 -0400
>From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Language Lab Unleashed!: On the air tonight (5/11)
>To: [log in to unmask]

Just a gentle reminder...

Language Lab Unleashed! will broadcast this evening (May 11th)  +/- 9:30
p.m. EST.

Tonight we will be talking about the story of Drake University and the
renovation of their language program.  Our on air guests include Jan
Marston and  Clayton Mitchell  of Drake and their colleague at the
University of Texas-Arlington, Pete Smith

Drake, as many of us remember, was in the news in 2001. On  March 9,
2001,  Chronicle of Higher Ed published  the (rather) shocking headline
"A University Plans to Promote Languages by Killing Its Language
Department".  A link to this article is available on our site, as is the
April 13, 2001 response to that article  from the President of Drake
University, David Maxwell.

The show will not dwell on the past... rather we would like to talk
about how the teaching of languages has returned to Drake. Come and
listen to some of the innovations that Drake is exploring via DULAP...
both on campus as well as through distance learning.

If you can't listen to it live, no worries.  We will archive the audio
and make a podcast ready for download very soon.

Plan to listen and participate and have Skype?  Plan to listen and
participate but the Skype conference call is full (or you don't have
Skype)?   Just want to listen and "talk" in the chatroom?   Please go
to: http://www.languagelabunleashed.com/?page_id=19  to learn how....

We hope you can make it.

Barbara

--
Barbara Sawhill
Director, Cooper International Learning Center

phone: 440-775-8595
fax: 440-775-6888

http://www.oberlin.edu/ilc

President-elect, IALLT