LLTI Archives

May 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 15:07:37 EDT
 Since LangLab has been mentioned on this board this past week, I'd like to
make readers I have not notified separately aware that we recently put a new
version (2.0) on our Web site http://www.elanglab.com as the downloadable
demo. You may be interested in reading the extraordinarily enthusiastic
review of it in the March issue of Language Magazine. This version is a
multimedia four-skill solution: in structuring lessons, you can link to
items in them any Web page or instructional resource in file form--video
clips, longer audio files (e.g., streaming radio programs), image files,
Powerpoints, documents with text and illustrations (perhaps a chapter of a
textbook), etc. This capability lets you put the language in a cultural
context and vary materials to keep students from getting bored. It also
greatly simplifies secure remote access. The News page of our site has
quotes from the review as well as a link to the article itself.
     For readers not yet familiar with LangLab, it is cross-platform
software--a platform for teaching any language, and one that eliminates
worries about what kind of computer students and faculty have outside the
lab--usable in a computer room, on a LAN, or over the Internet. It combines
self-paced work by the student with teacher-student interaction through
real-time monitoring and a module for asynchronous feedback, letting
instructors evaluate students' work (from home, for instance) and insert
comments anywhere in a student's recording to guide the student. Easy-to-use
authoring tools let instructors create lessons by structuring existing A/V
and text materials or making their own. As those who have checked the price
know, the cost of LangLab is a small fraction of that of other solutions
with comparable functionality; we deliberately set out to make
state-of-the-art technology affordable to a vastly greater range of
educational institutions.
     Recent LLTI messages reflected interest in the pairing/grouping module
we are going to inroduce later this year, and Thomas Plagwitz asked when it
might be ready. Given the need for thorough beta-testing in actual classroom
use, which we may not be able to do until our client and test site UC
Berkeley resumes classes in August, my current estimate is around the end of
the summer, but we cannot, of course, commit to a specific date.

    --Richard Laden
Dr. Richard A. Laden
Director, E-LangLab, LLC
Berkeley, California