LLTI Archives

May 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 14:02:18 EDT
(1)   from  [log in to unmask]

I have been asked to recommend LCD data projectors.
What the client wants is something that is extremely portable,
high lumens for clear projection, and relatively high resolution
(better than 600x800 if possible).  [portions snipped]
<<

Without doing proper research, we bought the InFocus LP 120 recently.  It
is very small and light, reasonably bright, 1024x768 resolution and quiet.
We are happy with it, especially on the portability front.

<http://infocus.com/Products/Projectors/LP120.aspx>

weight 1.98 lbs/.9 kg
native XGA resolution
Optical zoom lens
1000 ANSI lumens
operates at 36 dB

I can't say how it compares to other current models.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]

(2)   from  [log in to unmask]

There are perhaps hundreds to choose among.
Make sure you get one with at least 1024 x 768 native resolution.
Anything below that today is out of date (which is why they will appear
so cheap.)
If you're doing mostly/only data, take a look at the cool new NEC
automatic projectors:
LT35:
To QUOTE:
NEC LT35 Fully Automatic Projector
NEC unveiled the LT35, another automatic projector after the LT30. The
LT35 offers more brightness than the LT30, at 3000 ANSI lumens.
Featuring DLP Advanced Video Processing, lamp saver technology and
automatic instant shutdown, the LT35 comes with other features similar
to the LT30.

Weighing just about 2 kg (4.4 lbs), the automatic startup/shutdown
feature enables the projector to be turned on or off from a power-strip
or wall-light switch. Direct power off ensures that your lamp survives a
blackout.

One of the good things is that the LT35 is compatible with both Windows
and Mac platforms. PC resolutions include VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA and
SXGA+. It provides S-Video and audio inputs as well.

Features include:

3000 ANSI lumens

XGA 1024x768 native resolution

World's first automatic projector

Quick set up and cool down

Automatic focus and keystone correction"

Or the NEC LT30:
To QUOTE:
"As the world's first automatic projector sporting a footprint smaller
than a sheet of paper, the LT30 is bright, powerful and packed with
technological innovations. Special features include automatic focus for
instant sharp focus, automatic start-up enables projector to be powered
on once connected to an outlet, automatic shut-down enables projector to
power off automatically once disconnected from the outlet, without
affecting lamp life, automatic vertical keystone correction
SquareShot(tm) technology instantly projects a square image even when
the projector is set up at a steep offset angle to the screen, and
AutoSense(tm) intuitively syncs the projector with most computer signals
and features one touch image optimization."

Now back to me - these are beautiful projectors, and auto focus and auto
keystone features are cool.
The LT30 is extremely lightweight and small. And both are so bright
(2,600 ANSI lumens and 3,000 ANSI lumens and the use of DLP chips) that
you could have a small classroom on the face of the sun and still get an
image that will dazzle the eyes. (With the DLP technology and that rated
brightness, in a small room people might need sunglasses *grin*.)

In fact, all over campus for our dozens of fixed installations I tell
our vendors not even to bother to propose LCD projectors. I want them to
propose nothing but DLPs.

Cheers,
Ed

Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center
Ass't Director, Media Services
Tufts University           Medford, MA 02155
[log in to unmask]             617.627.3036

(3)   from  [log in to unmask]

We just bought three Dell 3400MP projectors... extremely light, great
carrying case (the whole thing, case and projector seems lighter than
just a small case).  XGA... really very nice.  About $1100 from Dell.
Contact me if you want to see the unit or more details.

Read Gilgen

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.