LLTI Archives

May 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 13:16:22 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:15:11 -0400
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fun Language Lab Exercise

One of my peeves about college language textbooks is that they generally
don't have any exercises that are designed specifically for the Language
Laboratory. Makes it all the more difficult to encourage our faculty to
bring their students to the lab.

Recently my department chair asked that I train the faculty in the use
of the Lab equpiment (we've got a Sanako system) and that I do so in the
guise of teaching an introductory Spanish class in the lab. Now, I was
scratching my head for a while trying to think of how one might use the
laboratory in an early class for introductory language students, when I
got an idea for an exercise that was ideally suited to the lab and which
relied upon knowledge of only the first ten letters of the alphabet and
the first ten numbers: BATTLESHIP!

So I whipped out my trusty copy of Photoshop and came up with a spiffy
playing board that could be photocopied and handed out to students. I
tried it on a class I am teaching this semester and they really seemed
to enjoy it. And since it went over so well I thought I'd share it with
anyone on LLTI who would like to make use of it or distribute it among
your colleagues as a way of encouraging use of the language laboratory.
It's a 260k .gif file which can be printed out or easily be modified for
other languages with any off the shelf image editing program. You can
download it here:

http://www.evergreen.loyola.edu/~dsflores/images/guerra%20naval.gif

Enjoy, everyone!

David Flores