LLTI Archives

May 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 13:41:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Bob Peckham" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #8227.2 (!)  Looking for Mac language lab software solutions
>Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:23:55 -0500
>From: "Bob Peckham" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

There are a number of reasons why your first consideration should be what kind
of Macs you have and what is the operating system.  You should look also at how
these might eventually be replaced.

I ssay this because, OSX runs a lot more software than did OS9. Though OSX
software can run OS9 software through a "classic window" (OS9 in an OSX), this
will not happen on the Mac G5s with dual-core Intel architecture. Of course
these machines will run

Mac Boot Camp
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

which actually lets you run Windows XP on your machine.

If you plan on a very modern Mac lab, you should probably choose software that
is native to Mac OSX.

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Vice President, American Association of Teachers of French
Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Director, Andy Holt Virtual Library
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]