LLTI Archives

May 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 13:41:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Gus Leonard" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 11:23:20 -0700
>Subject: Re: #8232  Laserdisc to tape
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Gus Leonard" <[log in to unmask]>

Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
<[log in to unmask]> on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 7:06 AM -0800 wrote:
>I remember seeing this question before, but I was wondering if anyone
>knows a way to copy/transfer content from a laserdisc to a tape/
>computer.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill
>
>---
>Bill Koulopoulos
>Educational Technologist
>351B IAB-MC 3880
>Columbia University
>New York, NY 10027
>Tel: 212.854.6132
Hi Bill,
MacWorld did a review of 4 hardware converters back in 2001--
http://www.macworld.com/2001/08/reviews/converters/index.php-- and it's still a
good reference.
I have both the Dazzle and the Sony in the office and we usually use the Sony
DVMC-DA2 when we have the choice. We finally hard-wired the Sony to the desk
with a Radio Shack video switcher, so we can have VHS, LVD, DVD etc. into the
Sony and out to
whatever we want to push-back to after editing. We currently have a Macintosh G5
on the capture end of the DV cable and use iMovie or FinalCut Pro depending on
what we want to do to the movie during editing. If it's already a produced
video, and
your main goal is to digitize it, iMovie is wonderfully simple and gets it done
well.
We still like the hardware boxes best, but I'm sure there are other options,
including pass-through from a DV-camcorder (example on Canon site:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelFeaturesAct&fcategoryid=168
&modelid=11005&pageno=5).
Other options?
Gus
_______________________________________
Gus Leonard
Language Laboratory Coordinator
School for World Languages & Cultures $F0  Building 48-119 $F0 California State
University, Monterey Bay $F0 100 Campus Center $F0 Seaside, CA 93955 $F0 Email:
[log in to unmask] $F0 (831) 582-4446 $F0 http://LanguageLab.csumb.edu |
http://tinyurl.com/8ou73.
President, SouthWest Association for Language Learning Technology $F0
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/hirc/SWALLT/
Confidentiality Notice: This communication, its contents and/or attachments, may
contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the
use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or
disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.