LLTI Archives

April 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:09:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Peter Edberg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Peter Edberg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8224 Converting Devanagari from Mac Classic format to Unicode
>Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:17:08 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Forwarding a response from Lee Collins at Apple:

MS Word (including Office 2004) on the Mac does not support any
complex script (Devanagari, Arabic, Hebrew, etc). That's why you
don't see the Devanagari fonts in the Word Menu. Pre OS X versions of
Office also had the same limitation, in that they did not support
World Script I layout. However, before OS X, it may have been
possible to fool Word in to believing that Devanagari was Roman. This
allows you to see the Devanagari, but the layout and editing will not
be correct. That's not possible with Unicode, since the Unicode
character code values are unambiguous.

Until Microsoft addresses this problem, I would not use Word or any
Office app for text in any complex script, even Thai, which does show
up in the Word menu. I suggest that you stick to applications such as
Pages that do support these scripts.

This leaves the question of migrating old documents. If I understand
correctly, it sounds like at least one of the paths you describe
works. That is, opening an old Word document in TextEdit or Pages. If
you want to send the Pages or TextEdit documents to Windows, you
might try saving in RTF format. Office on Windows supports Devanagari
and should be able to open the RTF directly. However, I have not
tried that.

Lee

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.