LLTI Archives

April 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:18:24 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8205 Screen Captures for video production
>Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:17:51 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

You didn't mention what platform you're working on, so I don't know
if you can use Ambrosia Software's Snapz Pro X 2, for Mac OS X ($69).
It's a great screen movie capture utility that we use to make lab
training videos.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

To use a screen capture such as this one successfully, you need to
understand optimal resolution and color settings and choose the right
export codec for the video. The manual usually covers these topics well.

We export our screen capture video to DV format then edit that in
Final Cut Pro for pretty good results. We export the finished video
using the H.264 codec for LAN delivery. (H.264 requires a pretty fast
processor to render on playback, so your computer needs to be less
than 3 years old or so.) If the only thing we're exporting is screen
capture video (i.e., not combined with video camera footage), then we
use the Animation codec at 10f/s.

Good luck,

John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
890 Commonwealth Ave., 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215  USA
ph			617.353.7957
fx			617.353.6195
lab			http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/
personal		http://people.bu.edu/johndesz/

"A Practical Guide to Using Computers in Language Teaching"
http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=97662

CELOP is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program
Accreditation.  Accreditation by CEA signifies that an English
language program or institution has met nationally accepted standards
of excellence and assures students and their sponsors that the
English language instruction and related services will be of the
highest quality.

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.