LLTI Archives

April 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:16:25 EDT
(1)---  from Sue Otto <[log in to unmask]> ---

We've been using TechSmith's Camtasia Studio and like it a lot.  Not only
have we been producing software tutorials, but a number of our doctoral
students have used it for data collection for their dissertations. This is a
Windows application.  Their website is:

http://www.techsmith.com/

They have some other capture products as well.

Good luck, David!

Cheers,
Sue Otto

Dr. Sue E. K. Otto
Director, Language Media Center
Adj. Associate Professor, Dept. of Spanish & Portuguese
   and International Programs
120 Phillips Hall
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-1323
Phone:  319/335-2332
Fax:  319/335-2990
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

(2) --- from  [log in to unmask]

Hi,

Captivate (formerly Robodemo) has worked well for us.

Henry Wilmer
Director, Language Learning Center
Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
978-749-4201

(3)--- from  [log in to unmask]

We've used a fabulous program called SnapzProX2 that not only
captures screen shots but also captures video. In my opinion it's the
best thing in the market for the price.By the way, it's a Mac OSX
program.
You can find it here: http://www.ambrosiasw.com

Bill Koulopoulos
Educational Technologist
Columbia University

(4)--- from [log in to unmask]

I've been hearing really good things about Macromedia's Captivate from
people in my instructional design grad class, but haven't used it myself.

Marlene

(5)--- from  [log in to unmask]

Camtasia Studio :-)

Sherri Reed
Computer Lab Coordinator
University of Northern British Columbia
(250) 960-5689  Fax (250) 960-5522

(6)--- from [log in to unmask]

You didn't mention what platform you're working on, so I don't know
if you can use Ambrosia Software's Snapz Pro X 2, for Mac OS X ($69).
It's a great screen movie capture utility that we use to make lab
training videos.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

To use a screen capture such as this one successfully, you need to
understand optimal resolution and color settings and choose the right
export codec for the video. The manual usually covers these topics well.

We export our screen capture video to DV format then edit that in
Final Cut Pro for pretty good results. We export the finished video
using the H.264 codec for LAN delivery. (H.264 requires a pretty fast
processor to render on playback, so your computer needs to be less
than 3 years old or so.)

Good luck,

John

John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
890 Commonwealth Ave., 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215  USA
ph			617.353.7957