MACSCRPT Archives

April 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
RJay Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:04:49 -0500
When OS X 10.3 was released, many 3rd party video cards quit working. A
Unix command circulated the internet that would restore functionality
for many of these disabled cards, that being- sudo nvram
boot-args="romndrv=1".  My 2nd monitor run off an old iXMicro TwinTurbo
card fell victim to this but the Unix command fixes it for me.

I only have to run the command if I boot into OS 9. When I boot back
into OS X, the 2nd monitor is disabled until I run the command and
restart the machine. Not a big deal, but I finally had the brilliant
thought that I should write an Applescript to run the command and save
a bit of time and effort.

It seems simple enough, but like most things w/Applescript, it tends to
be a bit more difficult than I think it will be. A bit of research on
Apple's site says I should not use "sudo" but instead do something
like:

do shell script "command" user name "user" password "mypassword" with
administrator privileges. So I type up the script and try to check its
syntax and Applescript complains about the quotes around "romndrv=1".
So I read a bit further and see I need to add an escape backslash for
the quotes in the shell script like this /". So now my script reads as
follows:

do shell script "nvram boot-args=\"romndrv=1\"" user name "rjay"
password "" with administrator privileges

Now when I check syntax, it complains about "user name" following the
closing quote of the command (a property can't go after this ""). Can
anyone help?

Thx,

RJay