MACSCRPT Archives

April 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Gary (Lists)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:21:47 -0400
"John A.M. Darnell" wrote:

> Sigh, Tiger is not an option at this point.  I'm already looking at
> Panther.
>
> Thanks everyone!  This looks like a winner!
>
> John

John,

I can not speak to X-Code, except it's download size. I have it, but have
not used it at all. The apps it makes are great, however, of course.

But, in case you did not know this, Smile has an easy-to-use built-in GUI
builder.

If you have Smile (a quick download and an unproblematic install), or if you
get Smile, then just use the menu  New > Dialog

This will open two things:

    1. A new blank dialog.
    2. A dialog of buttons, fields, widgets and such that you drag to your
        new dialog.

You can build your interface in just a few moments time.

Then, you will supply the script that you have written by editing the script
of the dialog.  In your case, as you describe, I see only the need for one
script -- that of the dialog itself.

(Fields and buttons can have their own, but you would likely not need that
for your project, based on your description.)

I quite like Smile's dialog builder, and now many of my scripts get to have
actual interfaces.

If you need help, you may find subscribing to the SUL (Smile Users List) a
fun and low-volume resource.

This shouldn't be considered any kind of preferential recommendation, since
I only know Smile (and Dialog Director) as GUI builders and not Studio.

--
Gary