LLTI Archives

March 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:17:29 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Eric Granquist <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:51:42 -0600
>From: Eric Granquist <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>Subject: #8198 Russian Characters on ColdFusion Server

Hi Stacey--

Here's a pretty good article about this (I'm suggesting/guessing) and other CFMX
internationalization issues:

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/globalize.html

I'm assuming the info on your pages is not coming out of a database, so that
jdbc doesn't figure in this problem--that's the part that's given us some
trouble with our legacy cf "unicode" data.

If these are static pages, and if you don't want to convert the pages to
unicode, you might just try setting the <CFPROCESSINGDIRECTIVE> tag to do the
charset you want on each page you don't want to show up as unicode.  It seems
that the cf versions after 5 (mx+) want to do unicode all the time, and you
have to prevent this if you don't want it.  We also got caught by this in
different ways--ironic that as allaire/macromedia/adobe + java goes on this big
push to internationalize, they break our international stuff.

If the <CFPROCESSINGDIRECTIVE> tag doesn't help, there are a few other things to
try in that article, mostly depending on whether the data comes out of a
database or not.

here's a sheet showing how to use the <CFPROCESSINGDIRECTIVE> tag:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/
wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=00000312.htm

Good luck

Eric

>Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:18:09 -0600
>From: "Stacey Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Russian Characters on ColdFusion Server

Hello everyone,

I am forwarding a question from my Technology Assistant.  Any ideas to
help us out?

Stacey

Stacey L. Powell
Director, Foreign Language Multimedia Center
Auburn University
334-844-6381

>>> Russell Pierce 03/24/06 3:51 PM >>>
I'm having a problem with Russian characters.  We're transitioning from
a php-based website to a ColdFusion one.  The old website displays the
characters correctly:

http://www.auburn.edu/forlang/lab/resources/viewer.php?type=audio&book=nachalo

The new website does not:

http://media.cla.auburn.edu/forlang/multimediacenter/resources/russian.cfm

When pasted into Dreamweaver, the characters appear correctly, but not
when viewed in a browser from the server.  I have tried to set the
character encoding in the meta tag to the same as on the old website,
but the browser still detects the page as UTF-8.  Does anyone know why
the page is detected as UTF-8 when I specify Windows-1251 for the
charset in the meta tag?

If that's not the problem, does anyone have any other ideas as to how I
might solve this problem?

Thanks,
Russell Pierce

Eric Granquist
Systems Administrator
Rice University Language Resource Center
6100 Main Street MS-37
Houston, Texas 77005

Office: 713-348-6260

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.