LLTI Archives

March 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:40:13 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Stacey Powell" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:18:09 -0600
>From: "Stacey Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Russian Characters on ColdFusion Server

Hello everyone,

I am forwarding a question from my Technology Assistant.  Any ideas to
help us out?

Stacey

Stacey L. Powell
Director, Foreign Language Multimedia Center
Auburn University
334-844-6381

>>> Russell Pierce 03/24/06 3:51 PM >>>
I'm having a problem with Russian characters.  We're transitioning from
a php-based website to a ColdFusion one.  The old website displays the
characters correctly:

http://www.auburn.edu/forlang/lab/resources/viewer.php?type=audio&book=nachalo

The new website does not:

http://media.cla.auburn.edu/forlang/multimediacenter/resources/russian.cfm

When pasted into Dreamweaver, the characters appear correctly, but not
when viewed in a browser from the server.  I have tried to set the
character encoding in the meta tag to the same as on the old website,
but the browser still detects the page as UTF-8.  Does anyone know why
the page is detected as UTF-8 when I specify Windows-1251 for the
charset in the meta tag?

If that's not the problem, does anyone have any other ideas as to how I
might solve this problem?

Thanks,
Russell Pierce

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.