LLTI Archives

March 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 06:17:17 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Thomas Hammond" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Thomas Hammond" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Automated pronunciation checking
>Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:47:01 -0500

Has anyone had recent experience with software that uses acoustical modelling to
compare
learners' pronunciation and intonation with that of a native speaker? I have
seen this
sort of thing demonstrated in the past and found it both inaccurate (not even
able to
distinguish NS input from NNS input) and puzzling in terms of the feedback
generated --
generally some kind of acoustical representation that looks like thermal
satellite
imagery.

Recently, however, a faculty member urged me to take a fresh look at this,
saying that
there have been enormous technological advances even in the past year. But all I
can find
are a couple recent academic papers saying the technology just isn't there yet,
or
commercial products making fantastic claims (and smelling slightly of snake
oil).

Anyone have recent experiences to share?

-Thom

Thomas Hammond, Director
Language Resource Center
Harvard University