LLTI Archives

March 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:14:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #8171.1 laptops & sanako lab 300
>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:20:52 -0600

Hello

Sanako Lab 300 is a hardware assisted digital language lab. It uses a
separate network cable to send audio and coaxial cable to send video. Audio
and network should not be a problem since their headsets go into a separate
box that connects both of these cables. However, a video capture card at
each student station is needed to capture video and view live video streams
from the instructor station. If you go without student capture cards you are
limited to already digitized files for viewing video at each student station

Sanako Lab 300 is one of the three vendors bidding onr our lab upgrade. We
are however, using Dell Optiplex desktops so PCI or PCI Express video
capture cards go in rather easily.

There are external USB and internal but removable PC card slot video capture
hardware devices available, but the portable nature of such labtop oriented
accessories requires them to be external or removable, thus an inherent
security risk. In choosing a USB video card, check with Sanako and also make
sure it can be physically padlocked, chained, glued or otherwise fastened to
the PC or furniture to avoid theft.

The Sanako Headset Adapter should also be somehow secured. Furniture, like
that from Synsor has hidden compartments to put in hardware.

We chose desktops because of the security issue. You can lock the case with
a padlock so nobody can get to the goodies inside.

Hope this helps.
Tom Griffin,
Director, Foreign Language Lab
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 N. St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
773-442-4753