MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:00:46 +0900
Hello,

I would like to compress files and folders using zip via scripting.
I had a look at man zip, and I tried some commands but I seem to not
understand how it works.

For folders, it seems possible to compress them using something like:

zip -r /Users/me/Documents/myFolder /Users/me/Documents/myFolder

but I don't understand how to make a zip file of a wanted name in a
wanted folder.

And I would like to avoid including .DS_Store files in the archive.

On the other hand, I am unable to make any zip file of files.  This
is perhaps normal, since zip's main purpose is to make archive of
several files -- but with OS X's Finder, in File menu, I can easily
create zip files of files.

Could anyone of you point me to an easy tutorial of how to use zip in
"do shell script" format?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Nobumi Iyanaga