MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Delacour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:31:20 +0100
At 11:19 am -0800 29/3/06, Dave McGary wrote:

>Yes, it took me a while to understand it well also.
>Experience with the VBA document object model helped.
>
>The website building tools are called Radio and Manilla.

That is rather misleading.  What you do and can do with Frontier or
Radio Userland depends on the database (frontier.root) you use.  I
still use the same database I used with Frontier 5 betas because I
used, and still user, Frontier for certain tasks and was not
interested in the new directions it took.  The kernel is much the
same as it always was except that it has been made to run under Mac
OS X, but there has been no significant progress for over 10 years as
far as I can see and a lot of the interface is, and always has been,
quite unacceptable and full of bugs and oddities.  When Frontier
understands Unicode I'll begin to take notice again, but I doubt if
that's going to happen.

As to MacBird, I can hardly think you are speaking from experience.
MacBird was a total disaster and I never saw any demonstration from
anybody that it served any purpose but to crash Macs.

I went to look up something in my Frontier kernel mailing list
archive yesterday and realised I had not long ago (deliberately)
deleted the whole mailbox, presumably having given up hope entirely
of anything really useful taking place on that front.  There's all
sorts of tidying up of odds and ends going on in what seems to me a
totally uncoordinated manner and nothing really happening at all.  In
my opinion Frontier died a sudden death in 1997 and, though I use it
myself in the way it used to be used, I would recommend it to nobody.

JD