MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Dave McGary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:19:28 -0800
Hi Lloyd,

Have you looked at PythonCard?  It runs on OSX, it converts stacks
from HyperCard to PythonCard, including scripts, and it is Open Source
and free.  I just found it a few minutes ago.  It also runs on
Windows.

http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

They say PythonCard will read and convert your HyperCard stacks
(within limits - no plug-ins, etc) into their language, and run them
on OSX (and Windows!).  Sounds like an effortless upgrade for many
stacks...

PythonCard Mailing List:

Good luck refactoring your project (if you even need to now)!

--Dave

PS -

> I tried to use Frontier many many moons ago, and could not get
> my head around their model. I will add it to the list to have a look
> at. I thought it had moved more towards being a website building
> tool.

Yes, it took me a while to understand it well also.
Experience with the VBA document object model helped.

The website building tools are called Radio and Manilla.

Before trying to get your head around Frontier again, I suggest you buy a
copy of the book  "Frontier: The Definitive Guide" by Matt Nueburg.
It is available used via Amazon.com and Half.com  It is long out of
print, but readily available.  I paid $9.99 + $2.45 S&H for my copy in
October 2002 via Half.com

If you prefer reading the book on your computer, just go to Matt's website:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mattneub/frontierDef/ch00.html

Here is the download site for version 10, just in case you missed it.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=120666&package_id=131571

Or try some of Matt's Frontier tutorials.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mattneub/scriptingTutorial/