MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
deivy petrescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:18:23 -0500
On Mar 28, 2006, at 20:46, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I am totally new to Applescript and to this list, so ...
>
> Here is my situation. In making figures for a book that I am
> LaTeXing to put on the web under GPL so that I need both a print
> version and an editable version, I have the following work flow:
>
> 1) When I make the first picture in a series
>
>    I create the file in Intaglio,
>    + I click Save As  to get the editable file and enter the filename,
>    say Picture1.Intaglio
>    + I click Save A Copy As to get the LaTeX-includable file as
>    Picture1.pdf.
>    + I click Close the Intaglio file
>    + I click on the already open LaTeX file with the
>    \includefigure{Picture1.pdf} command
>    + I click on the Typeset button there to see the output with the
>    picture.
>
> In addition to being Applescriptable, Intaglio remembers:
>
>    To put the appropriate extensions: .Intaglio on Save As and .pdf on
>    Save A Copy As (in addition to cropping the pdf to content size)
>    To Save As in the folder called Graphics
>    To Save A Copy As in the folder called Figures
>
> 2) When I make the second picture in the series,
>
>    I open, say, Picture1.Intaglio
>    I click Save As (Shift Command S) -- and change the filename to,
>    say, Picture2
>    I make the modifications
>    * I click Save (Command S)
>    * I click Save A Copy As (Alternate Command S)
>    * I click Close
>    * I click on the already open LaTeX file with the
>    \includefigure{Picture2.pdf}
>    * I click on the Typeset button there to see the output with the
>    second picture in the series.
>
> 3) When I edit an existing picture,
>
>    I open, say, Picture1.Intaglio
>    I make the modifications
>    ^ I click Save
>    ^ I click Save A Copy As
>    ^ I click Replace
>    ^ I click Close
>    ^ I click on the already open LaTeX file with the
>    \includefigure{Picture1.pdf} command
>    ^ I click on the Typeset button (Command T) there to see the output
>    with the modified picture.
>
> So, with already a couple of hundred pictures, that's a lot of
> clicking and I thought that I should write three keyboard commands,
> for +, * and ^.
>
> I bought two books Applescript for dummies and Applescript, The
> Missing Manual, macroed what I was doing and am completely stuck
> because, of course, the macro recorder recorded specific
> information--and I didn't even try to typeset the LaTeX source
> (TeXShop is Applescritpable too):
>
>    tell application "Intaglio"
>        activate
>        save document id 139 in file "Macintosh
>    HD:10_OMTo:4.MATH4LEARNING.tex:10.0:Graphics:Picture2.intaglio"
>        save document id 139 in file "Macintosh
>    HD:10_OMTo:4.MATH4LEARNING.tex:10.0:Figures:Picture2.pdf" as PDF
>    picture with crop
>    end tell
>
> I would appreciate any hint.
>
> Hopeful regards
> [...]

Alain,
I do use TexShop as well, but scripted very little with it since I
really do not need to script it.
However, if you are creating pictures (what kind?) may be you can
take a look at Smile.
It not just creates pictures in pdf already, but also it has some
integration with TexShop.

Check Smile out here:
<http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/index.html>

I know is not exactly an answer, but I think it might be the right
direction.

Best

Deivy