MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lloyd Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:43:52 -0500

> At 11:09 AM -0500 3/25/06, Lloyd Butler wrote:
>> Since I already have my script libraries as AS scripts, then I think
>> it is time to bit the bullet and try AS Studio to put a face on these
>> scripts.
>
> I have to mention that Smile may be an alternate solution.
>
> Emmanuel
> Satimage-software <http://www.satimage-software.com>

I do use Satimage in one of my scripts, so i does need to be there. I
had not remembered that it can do interfaces as well.  I see 3.0.6 is
the latest version, I am still using 2.6.? I think on the production
machines.

I looked at AS Studio yesterday (IB and Xcode) and it is a bit of over
kill for what I am looking for. You need to try and ignore more stuff
than actually use in the interface. It would be nice if they could make
it so that you could have only the necessary parts active, kind of
"Simple Xcode". You start it up and tell it what kind of code you are
planning on working in, and then it puts up only the portions that are
needed for that. You could add in the extra goodies as you learn more,
but to help keep the learning curve reasonable, keep it simple.

I tried to use Frontier many many moons ago, and could not get my head
around their model. I will add it to the list to have a look at. I
thought it had moved more towards being a website building tool.

I could even look at making a web interface to do the config info I
need and store it in a database along with all the data. Then the AS's
pull out the config info and the data and crunch away.

I'll need to work on redesigning the interfaces before picking the tool
to see what I can modularize more and what I can't. This will be a long
slow process, but it will need to be done as Classic will not be
available on any new machine by the fall.

It is always hard giving up something so simple as HC when you have
been using it for 15+ years. I think I started with v1.2 on my old SE.

Lloyd