MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
deivy petrescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:29:05 -0500
On Mar 23, 2006, at 19:18, Lloyd Butler wrote:

> Thanks for in input.
>
> For the record, I am using HC 2.4.1, the last version they sold. As
> it runs under Classic, so the new Intel box's will be off limits.
>
> What I have done is create a couple of stacks that house just
> Applecript routines that I have written to talk to Quark,
> FileMaker, Distiller, URL Scripting and tableserver. I  use the
> 'start using' command to load up the stacks into the handle path
> and I do not need to reinvent the wheel for each product.
>
> I am moving from FileMaker so that I can start to look at accessing
> the same database as others in the company so as to not duplicate
> data sets.
>
> Unfortunately a 'do shell script' will not compile in HC, even if
> you try and wrap it in a call to the Finder.
>
> I have not ever done an app that takes requests to do something, I
> have always used script files for that in AS and called the
> functions in the loaded script.
>
> I do not mind trying to have an AS app that will do the MySql
> stuff, but how do I get HC to talk to it?
>
> It the AS app (call it dbAccess.app for now) had a function getData
> (theDB,theCommand,theFormat,theData), how would I call that from
> the HC stack?
>
> With this one case, I can build any others, but normally the trick
> comes in passing the parameters.
>
> I was thinking about trying a SOAP setup, but I have not gotten a
> working AS version to be able to test in HC yet. I suspect the HC
> compiles against the Classic AS library, and it will not know the
> Soap any better than it will know do shell script as neither were
> part of the Classic AS library.
>
> I looked at DreamCard from Revolution as it was supposed to be able
> to read HC stack, but I had issues with getting the AS routines to
> work. Now DreamCard seems to  be dead and they only do the
> Enterprise addition, which is a couple of hundred dollars more.
>
> I may end up trying to rebuild my interfaces with AS Studio and
> make use of my AS library of functions so that I have some place to
> go with the Intel machines in the coming years as my business
> stacks will be running for many years to come.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lloyd

Lloyd, sorry jumping in a bit later, but if you do not want to change
your environment, instead of Revolution, which runs everywhere, you
could try SuperCard <http://www.supercard.us/> which runs on Macs only.
Haven't checked prices, but may be it is worth staying with a known
solution than restarting everything.
But, I believe that questions with hypercard are better answered by
these guys <[log in to unmask]>

By the way, I have had no difficulty editing HC scripts in 10.4.5.  I
just tried and it worked fine.

Deivy