MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lloyd Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:18:10 -0500
Thanks for in input.

For the record, I am using HC 2.4.1, the last version they sold. As it
runs under Classic, so the new Intel box's will be off limits.

What I have done is create a couple of stacks that house just
Applecript routines that I have written to talk to Quark, FileMaker,
Distiller, URL Scripting and tableserver. I  use the 'start using'
command to load up the stacks into the handle path and I do not need to
reinvent the wheel for each product.

I am moving from FileMaker so that I can start to look at accessing the
same database as others in the company so as to not duplicate data
sets.

Unfortunately a 'do shell script' will not compile in HC, even if you
try and wrap it in a call to the Finder.

I have not ever done an app that takes requests to do something, I have
always used script files for that in AS and called the functions in the
loaded script.

I do not mind trying to have an AS app that will do the MySql stuff,
but how do I get HC to talk to it?

It the AS app (call it dbAccess.app for now) had a function
getData(theDB,theCommand,theFormat,theData), how would I call that from
the HC stack?

With this one case, I can build any others, but normally the trick
comes in passing the parameters.

I was thinking about trying a SOAP setup, but I have not gotten a
working AS version to be able to test in HC yet. I suspect the HC
compiles against the Classic AS library, and it will not know the Soap
any better than it will know do shell script as neither were part of
the Classic AS library.

I looked at DreamCard from Revolution as it was supposed to be able to
read HC stack, but I had issues with getting the AS routines to work.
Now DreamCard seems to  be dead and they only do the Enterprise
addition, which is a couple of hundred dollars more.

I may end up trying to rebuild my interfaces with AS Studio and make
use of my AS library of functions so that I have some place to go with
the Intel machines in the coming years as my business stacks will be
running for many years to come.

Thanks

Lloyd