MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Gary (Lists)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:36:45 -0500
"Bob R." wrote:

> It looks like it only saves a pointer to the PDF file.  How do I script i
> nserting a PDF into FM and
> keeping the PDF embedded into the FM file?

Bob, IIRC, you can only store actual files (binary data) in FM7 and 8.

There are hackish ways to do that in FM4-6, which require spoofing headers
to confuse FM into thinking it is retaining a PICT file.  I don't really
think that is useful as a practical tool, although it does work.

In FM<7, I think the "best" way to manage file archives like that is to
always keep a required folder (holding your PDFs) alongside the FM file(s)
in your file set.

Then, inserting by reference is stable to retrieve the file later.

Often, a small 'thumb' of the document is useful in the user interface. In
that case, what I used to do in FM<7 was to produce (via AppleScript) an
image of the front page of the PDF, and then insert that into the FM file.
This allows "book cover"-like browsing and simulates the file "being there".

Please note that I might be mis-remembering that FM 6 will not store PDF, a
limitation that might have ended with FM 5.

HTH
--
Gary