MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Bob R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:56:11 -0500
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:24:00 -0500, Gary (Lists)
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bill, that does work, but it's not AppleScript (as you said.)  But, Eric
>wanted to do this inside an AppleScript, so we'll need to find a different
>solution.
>
>Eric, you're not alone in trying to figure out the proper kind of reference
>(alias, file, etc.) to hand off to FileMaker, or many scriptable
>applications, for that matter.
>
>In FileMaker -- you don't say what version you are using -- the answer is
>that you should, with container fields by reference, had off a string.
So,
>drop the 'alias' from your sample.  This may not be helpful in FM 7 +.
>
>So, in short, in FM _up to 7_ (and maybe including and beyond), one could
>insert an image by reference simply by setting the container field's value
>to the string path of the object to insert.
>
>HTH
>--
>Gary

Setting the picture cell to the file path as a string works.  Here is a
partial script that works well for PDF files into FM.  Filemaker 6, OS
10.3.9.  You can modifiy it for folder drag and drop, mass importing, etc:
 ------------
tell app "finder"
  set myphoto to choose file  --the PDF file to import
  set myphoto to myphoto as string  --must be done.
end tell

tell app "filemaker pro"
  activate
  tell database "mydatabase.fp5"  --database file name; open in this example
    set cell "Page Box 1" to file (myphoto)  --Page box 1 is a local name
  end tell
end tell
Bob R.