MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Philip Aker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:45:02 -0800
On 2006-03-20, at 18:29:18, Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:

>> Another option might be to use:

>> /System/Library/CoreServices/BOMArchiveHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/
>> BOMArchiveHelper ~/Desktop/some.app

> This worked well for an AppleScript non-bundle application as
> well.  The resource fork in Mac OS X is really tricky...!

Hi Nobumi,

There are some tools available to help with resource forks. Depending
on your needs, Rez, DeRez, and RezMerger can be very helpful. These
are found in /Developer/Tools (after you have installed Developer
Tools).

To distribute files with resource forks, I generally make a disk
(file extension ".dmg"). You can use a shell script to make one very
easily:

	hdiutil create -srcdir /path/to/folder /path/to/folder.dmg

This gives you a web ready disk in a size only slightly larger than
zip size.

You can delete those .DS_Store files first with the 'find' command.

And you can still zip the .dmg file to save some more space.

Cheers,

Philip Aker
philip_aker->mac.dot.com