MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jim Tittsler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:26:56 +0900
On Mar 20, 2006, at 10:25, Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:
> And this created a zip file named "man_viewer.zip"; double-clicking
> on it (in another folder), it created "man_viewer.app", but it had
> only a generic application icon (the original "man_viewer.app" is
> an AppleScript application); double-clicking on it, it did
> nothing..., and it is not an application bundle.  I guess it is
> this "bundle" format which is the cause of this problem.  Could you
> show me how I would be able to zip an application?

The "bundle" is a directory tree.  Try using the -r switch:
zip -r man_viewer man_viewer.app

> On the other hand, I don't understand how to use "-x" option with "-
> r" option.  For example, I would like to zip recursively a folder
> named "images", excluding ".DS_Store" files.  I tried:
> zip -r images images -x \.*
> or
> zip -r images images -x \.DS_Store

The pattern match used for -x includes the path, so try:
zip -r images images -x "*/.*"
or
zip -r images images -x \*.DS_Store
(Also note that the backslash is one of the ways of escaping the '*'
from the shell's expansion.  It is not necessary to escape the '.')

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/