LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:45:28 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:05:33 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: LLTI Digest - 20 Feb 2006 to 21 Feb 2006 (#2006-26)

Quoth Alex Rafalovitch:

>Date:    Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:27:32 EST
>From:    LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8166.3 (!) Retired Faculty Webpages

> > >--- end of quote ---
> >
> > I'd beware of relying on the Internet Archive (archive.org) for persistence
> > of webpages or sites. In my experience, their coverage is spotty.
>
>I am not suggesting to rely on it as is. I am suggesting to submit the
>material to them. I believe that is possible if the permission to
>redistribute the material is given.
>
>And yes, I would expect the coverage would be a bit spotty when one is
>trying to archive the whole internet. :-)

It's not only their spotty coverage that's the problem (though that was
implied in the way I wrote my message). In addition to that, it's really
not a good idea to rely on an third party unbound by contract to persist
data or files. What happens when they drop off the face of the earth with
no warning? What happens when their servers get cracked? What happens when
some intern at Archive.org accidentally reformats the server(s) housing
these faculty webpages? (Less extreme examples could be easily substituted.)

IMHO, if the pages are of a low enough importance that they can be fobbed
off to Archive.org, then they're not really worth archiving. Even
marginally more important pages can be burned to a CD or DVD and put on the
shelf in the server room.

As well, if what you're talking about is a distribution plan rather than an
archiving plan, I think something more intentional would make more sense.
If the pages have any ongoing value, then it's worth it to the faculty
member's institution to maintain a clear association with them. I'm not
saying that the pages shouldn't be widely spread, but rather that the
original institution has an interest in making some effort to get people to
come to them to get at the pages.

Tk

Trip Kirkpatrick
SysAdmin / Sr. Programmer