LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:54:12 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Alexandre Rafalovitch" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:48:21 -0500
>From: "Alexandre Rafalovitch" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #8166.4 (!) Retired Faculty Webpages

> IMHO, if the pages are of a low enough importance that they can be fobbed
> off to Archive.org, then they're not really worth archiving. Even
> marginally more important pages can be burned to a CD or DVD and put on the
> shelf in the server room.

My impression was that the whole reason the question was asked was
because the institution was no longer interested in maintaining the
pages and was looking for a way for them to still be available without
having to continue worry about those pages themselves. Otherwise, why
can't you just keep them indefinitely, perhaps by shuffling them to a
different server with a clear notice that it is out-of-date. That's
what I have seen other places do.

In any case, I am looking forward to somebody else to contribute a
more viable solution.

Regards,
    Alex.

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.