LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:52:29 EST
--- You wrote:
To be quite frank it varies enormously from institution to
institution.  It depends upon the quality of work, the quantity of
work, and the work's context as well.  Finally, it also depends upon
whether the work is part of the requirements of the position and/or
whether this type of work was listed in the job description the
candidate initially applied to.

I would be happy to discuss the issue directly.

Best, Mike Ledgerwood

Mikle D. Ledgerwood, Ph.D.
Tenured Professor of French and Technology and Education
Director of the Language Learning and Research Center

On 06-02-14, at 10:29, Professor Franz-Joseph Wehage wrote:

> How do other colleges/universities look at online work (website
> development) as an integral part of promotion and tenure?
>
> We would like to integrate that part into our peer review process.
>
> Franz-Joseph
> Muskingum College, OH
--- end of quote ---

Franz-Joseph,

In discussions here at Swarthmore, the Provost has basically said
that the standards, would be much the same as for books and
traditional scholarship.  The Committees on tenure and promotion
would be looking for scholarly material, in whatever form, that moves
scholarship in a particular field forward.  She didn't see the need
for the development of explicit criteria for online work ... which of
course probably does little to encourage non-traditional work.  One
person to contact for her experience would be Barbara Nelson at Colby
College, who received a promotion to full Professor last year based
on a Dossier that consisted largely of online work.

- Mike

Michael Jones
Director,
Language Resource Center