LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:43:58 EST
--- You wrote:
I introduced my campus to this concept. Traditionally our scholarship has been
$E3peer reviewed$E4.  But recently this has led to shamefully poor quality
publications (in other words, the traditional system of peer review is
dysfunctional ).  I do more and more things outside this framework.  Evaluations
are public acceptance, good reviews from traditional reviewing journals,
newspapers, cyber review sources, such as MERLOT, and comments from web site
users.  Yes I have to demonstrate the acceptance of my work.  Some of you who
are familiar with my

Foreign-Language Software & Web Central
http://webpages.charter.net/tbob/softwrev.html

will know that there are organizations which evaluate educational web sites for
language learning:

Blue Web'n [reviews of foreign language education sites]
http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/bluewebn/contentarea.cfm?cid=6

EDsitement [foreign languages]
http://edsitement.neh.gov/tab_lesson.asp?subjectArea=2

Education World Foreign-Language Site Reviews
http://www.education-world.com/awards/past/topics/lang_arts.shtml#Foreign%20Lang
uages

I Love Languages
http://www.ilovelanguages.com/

MERLOT - World Languages
http://www.merlot.org/artifact/BrowseArtifacts.po?catcode=318&browsecat=317

I would personally appreciate hearing about others.

To give you an example of how things can work, I had a very good review in 2004
for

Societe Francois Villon
http://www.utm.edu/staff/globeg/villon.shtml

This site is also a "signet de la Bibliotheque Nationale de France" and is now
cited by most book-length studies on Villon.  I also have some five-star MERLOT
sites.  When it comes time for yearly eveluation, I simply give an update of my
web work and receive my points.  I keep up with page view stats, etc.

Yes, I do have paper publicacions, but more frequently electronic.

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Vice President, American Association of Teachers of French
Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Editor, Societe Francois Villon Bulletin
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Director, Andy Holt Virtual Library
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]
--- end of quote ---

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.