LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:02:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:04:57 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: On-line testing question

Quoth Jonathan Perkins:

>Date:    Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:07:28 EST
>From:    LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: #8158 On-line testing question
>
> >From: Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: On-line testing question
> >Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:03:51 -0600
>

>I have a very specific request from an instructor for which I am need
>of advice.  The instructor wants a web-based multiple choice test
>that records student answers and the time taken for each question.
>Recording the answers is easy enough, but I am unsure what the
>options are for recording the time per question as well.  I think
>this could be done using our course management system (BlackBoard) or
>perhaps using Director, but the request is specifically for a web-
>based instrument.  Any ideas to save me from having to recreate the
>wheel?

I can't speak to a Blackboard-based implementation, but I could conceive of
doing it  fairly simply in a custom manner: When the HTTP response (that
is, the web page) is sent to the client (that is, the student), a
server-side scripting language could write the current server time to a
hidden INPUT field in the (X)HTML. When the user submits the page, that
hidden INPUT field is subtracted from the then-current server time and the
delay persisted along with the answer.

You can also do it using JavaScript/ECMAScript (searching for "javascript
page timer" will load you up with examples), but there the crux is getting
the time value persisted.

These are, indeed, reinventing the wheel, but I figured I'd throw them out
there in case you don't get a better answer for using your existing system.

Tk

Trip Kirkpatrick
SysAdmin / Sr. Programmer
Center for Language Study