LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:02:38 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jim Duber <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Jim Duber <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8158 On-line testing question
>Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:21:00 -0800
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

I've done this sort of thing with Director and Flash. I'd suggest Flash
if you have the option (it's generally web-friendlier than Director). I
don't believe there's any built-in feature in BlackBoard to calculate
the time for each question.

Here's a demo in Flash:
http://www.anglofile.com/QuizMachine/writing001/

I call this technique "active multiple-choice" where I first ask for an
open-ended fill-in-the-blank response and then follow-up with a
multiple-choice version of the same question. In this demo, I have
Flash calculate the time users spend on each question and that
information is included in the feedback report at the end. Enter your
email at the start if you want a copy sent to you.

You might try searching google for a tutorial on "timer" in Flash
("Actionscript") or Director ("Lingo") or whatever your chosen
scripting language turns out to be. Here's a link to a useful
Actionscript timer prototype:

	<http://www.sephiroth.it/proto_detail.php?id=110>

Hope that helps,

Jim
Jim Duber                                    [log in to unmask]
duber dot com                         http://www.duber.com

   Interactive Media Development, Training and Consulting