LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:18:17 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Detiveaux, Georges J"

>Subject: sony / sans soloist & conductor monitoring problem
>Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:44:20 -0600
>From: "Detiveaux, Georges J" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Howdy, everyone in listservitude,

We're running Sony Soloist 6.7 on 26 student stations controlled by Conductor
Companion / LLC 8000A 4.0.1 (with which we have been, for the most part, happy),
and, as of a few weeks ago, we are experiencing the following on one entire row
of student stations as well as on a select few stations on another row.

Soloist connects and the stations show up in the default group on the control
station, but additional interactivity between the control station and these
student stations is no longer functioning. On a few other stations on one other
row, we have the same problem where we cannot monitor (the "slave" monitoring
terminal just goes black). Student calls show up on the control station from
these stations, but when we try to answer a call, there is no live teacher to
student or student to teacher audio. Sound features within the Soloist recorder
/ player work fine from student stations (they can record and hear themselves),
but again, no audio or video monitoring / communication is available. We can
still send video (& audio) from the control station to this row by assigning a
group & the send screen function.

I opened the LLC (the "metal box" to which all of the stations are plugged in
order to check the fuses, but they all look fine. I've also jiggled and secured
every cable I can think of. I called my vendor's tech support, but they won't be
out here for another week, and I thought there might perhaps be a tinkering,
enterprising person out there floating in the ether with a suggestion that might
fix it before the tech-ies tear the lab apart, thereby saving at least four
prime-time lab days worth of class visits. Any ideas?

Georges Detiveaux
Language Lab Coordinator / Instructor of French & ESL
Cy-Fair College, LRNC-203
9191 Barker Cypress Road
Cypress, TX  77433
http://faculty.nhmccd.edu/gdetiveaux