MACSCRPT Archives

February 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Gary (Lists)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:24:00 -0500

"Bill Steele" wrote:

> This works for me in Filemaker scripting steps:
>
> Go to field [Photo index::image]
> Insert picture ["temp.jpg"]
>
> When you add the Insert picture step you use a dialog to set the
> filepath.  Your thumbnail always has to be in the same place, so this
> is preceded by an Applescript that puts it there.

Bill, that does work, but it's not AppleScript (as you said.)  But, Eric
wanted to do this inside an AppleScript, so we'll need to find a different
solution.

Eric, you're not alone in trying to figure out the proper kind of reference
(alias, file, etc.) to hand off to FileMaker, or many scriptable
applications, for that matter.

In FileMaker -- you don't say what version you are using -- the answer is
that you should, with container fields by reference, had off a string.   So,
drop the 'alias' from your sample.  This may not be helpful in FM 7 +.

So, in short, in FM _up to 7_ (and maybe including and beyond), one could
insert an image by reference simply by setting the container field's value
to the string path of the object to insert.

HTH
--
Gary