MACSCRPT Archives

February 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Fred Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:55:40 -0600
On 2/22/06 10:22 AM, "kee nethery" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> OK I'll bite.
>
> I started Kagi around 1994 and at that time I had built a processing
> system that used PowerMail and AppleScripts and Hypercard on a Mac
> IIci to process the register program emails that came in via my
> MailShare -> AIMS--> EIMS server on my MacClassic. Not sure when the
> first MacScripting posts came through but 2000 sounds really late in
> the game. So I'm guessing somewhere between 1994 and 2000.
>
> Kee Nethery

Yep, that is late. I started the AppleScript mailing list while I was still
at the Kansas Geological Survey. John Baxter is right that it predated the
release of AppleScript because a few of us beta testers wanted to have a way
to swap information. I left the KGS in 1993, and I think it was about that
time that Andy Williams--the founder of the Frontier list at Dartmouth--and
I merged the two lists. I had to get the AppleScript list off of the Sun box
at the Survey and he was worried about how little traffic there was on the
Frontier list. We combined the two into the MacScripting list. Adam Engst
has some of the history here:
http://www.tidbits.com/iskm/iskw2html/pt1/ch03/ch03.html#aa13. I suppose the
rest of it is buried at the old ScriptWeb site.

I see the Dartmouth archives go back to 1999 (
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/archives/macscrpt.html), but I think I have
mail in my MacScripting mailbox, which isn't online at the moment, that goes
back to 1991. It doesn't look like Sandra Silcot's archive is functional at
the moment, and the Waybackmachine doesn't have archives of those early
pages. The copyright dates of Toy Surprise were 1991-1993.

Wow, I'd forgotten about PowerMail and the early days of Kagi.

That's my pebble tossed in the large internet pond.

pf