MACSCRPT Archives

February 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:13:48 -0500
>At 3:14 pm -0500 17/2/06, Bill Steele wrote:
>
>>... but I still want to know why it's there in the first place.  I
>>certainly don't have any "as Unicode text" statements anywhere.
>
>I don't see how anyone can help you resolve your problem unless you
>describe clearly and precisely what you're doing. Part of the
>problem may be that you're using a pre-2004 version of Word that
>does not deal properly with Unicode in combination with Tex-Edit
>Plus, which also is Unicode-dumb.  You probably don't need any
>editors at all to do what you want but if you must use editors then
>it would be a good idea to use Unicode-aware software such a
>TextWrangler (free), BBEdit 8, TextEdit etc.  You haven't even told
>us what you mean by "Unicode", seemingly regarding the whole bang
>shoot as some sort of aberration.
>
>JD

thought I posted all this before, but briefly:

Text starts as Word document
Copy as styled text, paste into Tex-Edit
Use Tex-Edit replace and style run functions to convert to HTML (used
to use convertToHTML OSAX in OS 9)
Read into Applescript variable
In Applescript, chop up and rearrange in various ways (problem
apparently arises here, but I've traced the variables through the
script and haven't found any likely suspects)
Write various rearrangements to various text files, using open for
access with write permission

And one of those files turns out goofy, at least when I open it again
in Tex-Edit.  Yes, you're right, I don't *know* that it's Unicode,
but it's definitely something two bytes per character.
--

Bill Steele