LLTI Archives

January 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:06:39 EST
(1) --- Forwarded Message from Greg Kessler <[log in to unmask]> ---

Try this link for IPA fonts on OSX

<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ipa-
sil_keyboard>

Greg

Greg Kessler, Ph.D.
Director
International Teaching Associates Program

(2) -----from Derek Roff  [log in to unmask]

SIL International has a number of freely downloadable IPA fonts.  I like
the look of Gentium, although I haven't used it for IPA.  It is a fairly
broad Unicode font, supporting most Roman-based alphabets, several
varieties of Greek, and soon, they say, Cyrillic.

<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium>

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]

(3) --- from Jim Duber [log in to unmask]

Hi Barbara,

OSX comes with IPA font extensions already installed (at least I
believe so--it's been awhile and it's possible I installed them from
the system disk, but can't recall now). Use the "Character Palette" for
access--you'll find this listed as "Special Characters" under the
"Edit" menu in most applications (or under its actual name if you're
showing the input menu flag in the menu bar).

Within the Character Palette, set the top "View" pulldown menu to
"Unicode" and then select "Unicode Blocks" from the tabs at the
top-center of the paletter and then "IPA Extensions" from the left-hand
menu.

Hope that helps,

Jim
Jim Duber                                 [log in to unmask]
duber dot com                          http://duber.com
Interactive Media Development, Training and Consulting

See the LetsTalk Discussions:  http://duber.com/LetsTalk/

(4) --- from Eric  [log in to unmask]

OS9 IPA fonts still work for me in Font Book on
OSX 10.4.x. I have embedded these in pdfs used in
the past few years, and the fonts were readable
on both OSX and Windows. Your mileage may vary.

fwiw, the IPA fonts installed:

  SILDouIPAReg
  SILDoulosIPATM
  SILManIPAReg
  SILManuscriptIPATM
  SILSophiaIPATM
  SILSopIPAReg

There are apparently two versions of each of the
above: one PostScript, the other TrueType.

There may be a problem with the bitmap versions,
as I found them in the old OS9 Fonts directory
with names that included forward slashes.
Forward slash is a directory delimiter in POSIX
paths and is therefore theoretically problematic.
I have no idea if these were the names of the
fonts, as originally installed, but here they are:

  SILDoulosIPA/bitmap
  SILManuscriptIPA/bitmap
  SILSophiaIPA/bitmap

Manually replaced the forward slash with hyphen -- seems to work.

(5) from --- Barbara Need  [log in to unmask]

The SIL IPA fonts are pretty good. Check out the following link:
http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software_catalog.asp?by=cat&name=Font

Barbara Need
Manager (SS4), Computer Support, Archivist

(6) from --- Francoise  [log in to unmask]

Dear Barbara and musicians,

Nomore SIL fonts to download.  We now use Unicode.
No change in typing: same keys for symbols, e.g. 'E' (capital e) when
in IPA-SIL will be the open e of
the IPA.

Go to URL
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ipa-sil_keyboar
FYI, I used to have a Mac and a PC site for my Practical Phonetics
and Listening Comprehension web assisted course.  Much simpler now
with Unicode.

Francoise

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.