LLTI Archives

January 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:46:06 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Alexandre Rafalovitch <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:54:47 -0500
>From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8114 Translation/localization programs

Have you looked at the free/open-source solutions?

I haven't used any of these, but they might be worth at least checking out:
http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html (supposed to be quite good)
https://open-language-tools.dev.java.net/
http://translatewrite.com/ooxlate.html
http://transolution.python-hosting.com/

And if they are missing features, sometimes it is cheaper to sponsor
the developer to write them than to pay for a single install license
of the commercial software....

Hope this helps,
   Alex.

On 1/13/06, LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear IIALLTers,
> I am researching translation and localization software packages for our
> department's graduate translating certificate program.
>

> We have a couple of older versions of Trados, DejaVu, and Systran that are no
> longer being used.  One of the programs required that the user have full
> administrative rights to the machine which is not possible in our lab
situation.

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.