LLTI Archives

January 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:15:43 EST
--- Forwarded Message from SUSAN C WEIER <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:56:42 -0600
>From: SUSAN C WEIER <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8117 Web-based chat software
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

We use UnrealIRCd for our chat server and a web client called CGI:IRC.
We've used this combination for several years, but it definitely isn't a
perfect solution and I wouldn't recommend it for higher level language
courses.  The web client doesn't handle international characters at all,
nor do we have automatic logging.  However, most of our chats are done
in the 100 and 200 level courses, and use of accents has been deemed
optional.  We've been able to dodge the logging issue by using cut/paste
operations to save the chat transcripts.

I'm hoping to move to a Jabber-based solution soon.  Our campus does
have a Jabber server available, although most of the students are
unaware of that fact.  The campus branded client is a version of iMov,
although they also recommend Psi.  I've also found another client called
Exodus which works very well and creates automatic logs on the hard
drive of the computer. All of the above (and many more clients for mac,
pc, and linux) are available in opensource versions -- Jabber is also
available as a commercial version.

If you want to chat in more detail, you can contact me off-list.

Sue

Susan C. Weier
InfoLab Manager
Learning Support Services