LLTI Archives

January 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:25:46 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ambra Neri <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:16:21 +0100
>From: Ambra Neri <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8114.2 (!) Translation/localization programs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dear Heather,

here at my university we have purchased SLDX for our lab, from SDL,
because it seemed the only software for which we could get a
reasonable university discount (I am not the person in charge for
this though, so I'd have to refer you to somebody else for the
details if you want). The software that most translation agencies
want translators to use, however, is Trados, which looks rather
different from SDLX.

Wordfast used to be free, now you can still download it but you only
have a very limited translation memory, which I think is only useful
to give students an idea of the interface. Which, by the way, is very
similar to Trados though much more limited.

About OmegaT I know that it is completely free but it works with
OpenOffice. You can read more about this software on the proz.com
page about translation tools.

cheers
Ambra Neri

PhD student