LLTI Archives

January 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:46:01 EST
Hi,

There is no "localization" software. What you mention are Computer
Assisted Translation (CAT) programs (to be distinguished from machine
translation).

Trados is now owned by SDL, which has a university discount program:

<http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products-freelancers/
products-university/products-academics-participants.htm>

Also, Heartsome (which is the only CAT software that has been
developed for multiple platforms) :

< http://www.heartsome.net/>

And lastly, you might look at Wordfast. Developed by a Frenchman, it
is free and works by installing Macros into Word. http://
www.wordfast.net/

Scott

On Jan 13, 2006, at 1:54 PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> I am researching translation and localization software packages for
> our
> department's graduate translating certificate program.
>
> We have a couple of older versions of Trados, DejaVu, and Systran
> that are no
> longer being used.  One of the programs required that the user have
> full
> administrative rights to the machine which is not possible in our
> lab situation.
>
> I am interested to know what localization programs are in use in
> other LRCs and
> if there have been any issues installing them in a lab.  I would
> also like to
> know how licensing is handled for localization programs in use and
> the general
> price of those programs.  The prices (even with an educational
> discount) that I
> have been quoted is very high.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide.
>
> Heather McCullough

Scott G. Williams, Ph.D.
Associate Prof. of German
Director, Language Media Center
Dept. of Modern Languages and Literatures
Box 297210
Texas Christian University
Ft. Worth, Texas 76129

President, South Central Association for Language Learning Technology

Tel: Office (817) 257-7163
email: [log in to unmask]