MACSCRPT Archives

January 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 08:55:01 -0800
On Jan 7, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Nigel Garvey wrote:

> Just to confirm: whereas the 'sender' is a property of a message,
> containing the 'address' and 'display name', a 'recipient' is an
> element.
> Each recipient has an 'address' property containing the 'address' and
> 'display name'.

Interesting, and something I had forgotten.  It's "interesting"
because it precludes handling the valid (but never seen) multiple
addresses in the From: header case.  Multiple addresses in the From:
header was built into SMTP to allow for things like secretary Nancy
sending mail "from" boss Fred:

    From: "Fred the Boss" <[log in to unmask]>,Nancy<[log in to unmask]>

This was little used 20 years ago, and I've never seen an instance
outside of an instructional situation or the email RFCs.  It's likely
that most modern GUI mail clients (defining "modern" as, say, no more
than 10 years old) cannot even produce such a From: header.  But it
remains interesting that the Emailer folks elected to preclude
dealing with it in the scripting model (at the cost of sender and
recipient being different creatures (property vs element).

   --John (fondly remembering the day in early 2000 when he noticed
that the script he used to dump Emailer messages into a FileMaker
database had produced a batch of mail dated in January 1900.
Fortunately it was easy to separate my actual January 1900 email from
the messages which should have been January 2000, and run a FileMaker
command to fix the latter.  It was then I gave in and set the 7300 to
use four-character dates rather than 2, solving the problem for
future runs of the script.)