MACSCRPT Archives

January 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Simon Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:14:49 -0500
Hi all,

Apologies if this is an old subject, maybe I'm using the wrong search
terms because I didn't find anything in the archives and I'd have thought
it was a very common problem for scripters moving from OS9 to OSX...

I can't open any of my OS9 Applescripts on my 10.4.4 machine. I've only
recently upgraded to OSX and was surprised to find that all the OS9
compiled scripts that I transfer either from CD or USB Flash drive show up
as Terminal documents, but can't be opened with Terminal, Script Editor or
Script Debugger. I tried using the OS9 version of Script Editor in the
Classic environment but without success. It seems that the files just
aren't recognised as valid Applescripts.

I'm guessing that this is because they are scripts stored in the resource-
fork, but I thought there would be a utility available to transfer them
(without saving them all as text on the OS9 machine). Even if they can't
be executed without re-compilation, I'd just like to get the code out of
the files, as none of the OS9 machines that I have access to now have CD
burners on them, so recreating the original CDs I stored the projects on
would be a problem, even if I found out why files on the existing CDs
can't be read.

Has this been a common problem, or is it something to do with my
particular setup (moving directly from OS9 to Tiger).

Any info/suggestions most gratefully accepted.

Simon