MACSCRPT Archives

January 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Paul Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:51:02 -0800
On 1/19/06 11:33 AM, "Duane L. Mitchell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The following is a meeting announcement of the Boston AppleScript User
> Group. If you would like to be removed from this list simply reply to
> this email with the word "remove" as the message body. Thank you and
> sorry for any inconvenience.
>
>           BOSTON APPLESCRIPT USER GROUP "BAUG" MEETING

Surely , in most cases where people reply to "the" list - i.e. this MACSCRPT
mailing list - that will result in dozens or hundreds of messages to
MacScrpt we will all have to wade through. Why are you doing this?

If you mean that they should reply to YOU PERSONALLY - Duane L. Mitchell -
then you should say so. But how will, this help them? Does that mean you'd
stop sending these messages to MacScrpt mailing list? Surely not - what
about the people who like to get these announcements?

It looks to me as if this is something you may send out to your own mailing
list of "subscribers" to. (I expect it's a newsletter, not a real mailing
list?) In that case, you should remove this directive from the version you
send out to MacScrpt. Have you just included it by mistake? I can't see what
purpose it servers, and will probably just result in a number of useless
replies to MacScrpt, which I am trying to forestall (probably without much
effect...)

So, anyone tempted to reply to Duane's email with the word "remove" as the
message body: Don't do it. Thanks.

--
Paul Berkowitz