LLTI Archives

December 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 13:53:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8098 S/W to   Chinese long form characters
>Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:22:41 +0800

Chinese Character Tutor is a compiled application in Access 2.0. It will run
wherever you can run that application.

I haven't seen Far East 3000. I'll look for it.

Active Chinese is a limited program (no ability to insert lessons or review
characters in limited sets, all definitions of a character must be learned,
no user judgment as to correctness, just based on frequency, etc.), but has
some nice features (definitions include character combinations and
alternative meanings and pronunciations.)

The program I have actually used the most is KingHanzi. It doesn't even run
on a desktop, but rather on a pda.

Also Plecodict on a pda provides a flashcard application. It uses various
dictionaries including the huge ABC Chinese dicitionary used in wenlin.

In an age of wifi, perhaps a server-side or even web-based application is
the wave of the future. I'm still a bit behind that future wave, as I often
review characters in the car or a meeting where I wouldn't have access to a
server. Also I find that for my learning style and Chinese characters, it is
important to write each character multiple times in the right stroke order.
Facilitating this, PDAs have a functional touch screen and stylus unlike
desktops.

Yours, Steve

Dr. Steve and Laura Spinella, Sarah, Joey, Robby
Ta Yi Street, Lane 29, #18, 2F-1, Taichung 40454, TAIWAN
011.886.4.2236.6145, of 4.2236.1901, fx 4.2236.2109, cell 9.2894.0514
USA: 9685 Otero Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80920, 719.528.1702, cell
719.640.1261
TEAM, PO Box 969, Wheaton, IL 60189, 800.343.3144
<www.team.org.tw/spinella>, <www.team.org.tw/ccg> <[log in to unmask]>