LLTI Archives

December 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:20:42 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:14:45 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8104.1 NERALLD now NERALLT!

Hmmm... this dispels my mistaken notion that NERALLD *preceded* IALLT.
Perhaps what happened is that NERALLD become a stronger, more active
organization, especially during the 80s when IALL struggled.  But
clearly IALLT (IALL, NALLD) started sooner, in the mid-60s.

So...  congrats on the name change... joining the rest of us <grin>...

Read Gilgen
Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison
(608) 262-1408
http://lss.wisc.edu

--- Forwarded Message from "Dente, Edmund N." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #8104 NERALLD now NERALLT!
>Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:18:45 -0500
>From: "Dente, Edmund N." <[log in to unmask]>
>To:  "Language Learning and Technology International Information
Forum"
<[log in to unmask]>,        "Otmar K. Foelsche"

To follow up on this, I wanted to share a bit of NERALLD/NERALLT
history
I came across a few weeks ago.
I started at the Tufts Language Lab in 1968 as an undergraduate and
have
been here straight through except for two graduate school years in the
early '70s (but I hung out here then anyway, so it's virtually a
straight run *grin*) Anyway, I came across my then-supervisor (the
only
one the lab had before me), Helen Koppel's, lab log from 1974, and
apart
from the usual comments about people playing baseball with wooden
rulers
for bats and the rubber reel stoppers from the Chester Dial-Access
open-reel machines as balls, and curses directed at the capstan
motors,
this is what I found:

"March 2, 1974 - We attended a meeting at Boston University. The
meeting
was to decide whether it would be worthwhile to form a New England
chapter of Language Laboratory directors. 15 institutions were
represented, and Pierre Capretz, President of the National Association
of Lang. Lab Directors, was present.  We volunteered to send out a
newsletter - minutes of meeting, problems/questions which individual
members would like to discuss."
(Later) - "The newsletter was sent."

So, NERALLD/T has an official birthday!
Remember this next March 2nd.
Ed

Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center
Asst Director, Media Services      617.627.3036
Tufts University                        [log in to unmask]
Medford, MA  02155             http://ase.tufts.edu/lmc

Forum

organization's
name