LLTI Archives

December 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:20:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:19:16 -0500
>From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Language Lab Unleashed: the skypecast, the podcast, the chat
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Greetings:

Some of you may know the  podcast called "Edtechtalk: Educational
Technology that Talks".  This show was created by two educators, Jeff
Flynn  in New Hampshire (US), and Dave Cormier  in PEI (Canada) and
together they hold either brainstorming sessions about educational
technology or they interview an individual or individuals about what
they have done in the field.  In either situation, there is a Skype
conference call (of up to 5 people) that is streamed live (and recorded
to be distributed later as a podcast). Parallel to the live audio there
is a web-based synchronous text chat that can accommodate and additional
several dozen people.  The live commentators or interviewees answer
questions from the chat room, or the chat room goes off on its own
tangent... every week it is a little bit different.

I encourage you to look at their website (http://edtechtalk.com) to see
the topics they have covered, whom they have interviewed, and the
schedule of upcoming broadcasts/podcasts.

Speaking of upcoming broadcasts: EdtechTalk has offered to do a spin off
show that focuses on /language/ technology and education. They have
asked me to host it.  I will be joined by Buthaina al-Othman, an ESL
professor at the University of Kuwait and technologist extraordinaire,
as well as by Ewan McIntosh, Development Officer of MFLE, Scottish CILT
who has recently made several presentations about using podcasts in
modern language teaching.

This particular brainstorming session will be called Language Lab
Unleashed and is scheduled to air on January 5th at 9 p.m. EST  (2 a.m.
GMT).  Check http://edtechtalk.com or http://languagelabunleashed.com
for further details.

I hope you will join us either via Skype, or via the telephone call in
numbers (to be announced) or via the chat room! Check for further
details as the time draws near...

Hope to see/hear you there!

Barbara

--
Barbara Sawhill
Director, Cooper International Learning Center

President-elect, IALLT
http://www.iallt.org

"The plural of anecdote is -not- data"

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.