LLTI Archives

December 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:48:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:24:53 -0600
>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Effectiveness of distance language courses
>To: LLTI message <[log in to unmask]>

Irshat,

Your question is a little broad in that you haven't defined what you mean by
distance learning. There are many different scenarios that can fit into that
description. I can tell you that our distance learning language courses that
are hybrid courses but predominately use videoconferencing, use the same
types of proficiency assessments as a traditional language course. In
addition to those we use self-assessment surveys that provide us with
information on how students, instructors and facilitators feel the course is
going.

Our results tell us that in the case of our instructors that are really good
at what they do, our students learn as much or more than those in a
traditional class. In the case where we have less well trained instructors
(pedagogically, not technologically), our students do about as well as
students in a traditional class with a "not-so-good" instructor. What our
surveys tell us in general is that the technology does not hinder their
learning but in fact in some ways provides a richer environment than in a
traditional classroom.

So, I think you may need to define more clearly what it is that you want to
assess, what you mean by distance learning, as there are many different
models for this, and then build your tool. Keep in mind that for the most
part, the people that hold the purse strings are interested in how it
compares to a traditional class as much or more than how it stands on its
own.

Lauren
Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program