LLTI Archives

December 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:32:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Zach Chandler <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:43:52 -0500
>From: Zach Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8098 S/W to   Chinese long form characters

Hi Joe,

I'd like to point out a project that we here at Colby are working on, in
conjunction with the LRC at the University of Connecticut. The Bihua
Project (http://studio.colby.edu/chinese) is a free resource, a
searchable database that returns links to quicktime movies demonstrating
stroke order and native speaker pronunciation of hanzi characters.

Our inventory is far from exhaustive, but it's growing.  If you or your
school is using Integrated Chinese as your primary text, you'll find
that our inventory closely matches that of the IC text, and we are
working on the ability to sort/search by IC chapter #.  Unfortunately
this project has lost some of its early momentum, largely due to demands
on my time supporting other areas of the curriculum at my institution,
but there is interest here in bringing it back to life.

I should mention that Bihua is an open-content project, and we welcome
co-developers. We give away for free all the content we have made, and
reveal our methodology. Our developers page needs to be updated as we
have streamlined a lot since then.  One recent advance is that the bar
for participation is lower: you need some student labor (native Chinese
speakers), a Mac (OSX), and a Mimio board _or_ Wacom tablet. Any
interested party can drop me an email offlist to join the project

If we add another development partner, or get more vocal users (tell us
what needs fixing), maybe we will get up the steam needed to get this
project moving again.

Cheers,

Zach Chandler
Colby College LRC