LLTI Archives

November 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:57:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Samuels, Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #8092 Textbook publishers and
>Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:49:01 -0500
>From: "Samuels, Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>

David,

My 2 cents:  I was at that meeting as well, and served as the moderator
for the panel discussion with publishers.  As you will recall, we asked
those in attendance to submit questions on index cards and,
unfortunately, we ran out of time before we could get through them all.
During the business meeting, since I was visiting from another regional
group, I sat outside with some of the same publisher reps and we
discussed some of the same topics that we raised in the morning
sessions.  My sense is that at least those who were at the NERALLT
meeting would be quite interested in a structured discussion process,
e.g., a listserv.

At the same time, I see a significant role for IALLT's own Publishers
Task Force and Digital Exchange Committee.  In consultation with the
Board and Council, these entities can interface with publishers at a
quasi-official capacity, lobbying and expressing consensus if you will,
and facilitating the communication.  In part, this is why we exist as an
organized, professional association.

It might be fruitful to continue to use LLTI (this listserv) for
everyone's benefit and to foster discussion, and to have a separate
means of communication by which we as an organization interface in a
more official capacity that corresponds to the organizational model to
which our publisher colleagues are accustomed.  Certainly anyone who
belongs to the LLTI listserv can participate in open discussions,
including publishers.  Keep in mind that not all who subscribe to LLTI
are IALLT members.  I do still think that IALLT as a professional
association needs a means of communicating with publishing houses, at
the organizational level.

I look forward to continuing to pose those questions from the index
cards (and others that have surfaced since), in a format that works for
everyone involved.  Thank you so much for taking the initiative to
create a listserv and to get the ball rolling.  And please contact me
off-list if you would like to participate on the Digital Exchange
Committee.

All the best,

Jeffrey D. Samuels,
Digital Exchange Coordinator for IALLT

Jeffrey D. Samuels
Instructor, Modern Languages and Literatures
Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
Goucher College
1021 Dulaney Valley Road
Towson, MD 21204
tel. 410-337-6352